Prepare ahead and know your gravy or jus will be a big hit! Christmas and special meals are coming! Save up your pennies, pick a rainy day and get this going (it simmers for a few hours). For a special meal, try this traditional French method. It is simply the best gravy I have ever had and that is not just my opinion! I make large batches and I freeze it!
Ingredients: serves 4-5
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 carrots (clean but don’t worry about peeling) thinly sliced
2 leeks, thinly sliced
2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary sprigs
2 bay leaves
40ml red wine
100ml red wine vinegar
200 ml port
1 litre of good chicken stock
salt and pepper
- prepare all the vegetables above and heat oil until smoking in large pan.
- add vegetables and cook, occasionally stirring, until dark brown
- add herbs, port, wine, wine vinegar and reduce until getting dry (just some liquid mass left)
- add stock, salt and pepper and reduce by half.
- strain veg in a sieve over a clean pan, until all the jus is through and through away veg.
- Done. Very quick to prep but a few hours of reducing. A very good smell in the kitchen when its ready
When your meat is ready this gravy will just need reheating before serving.