Time to use those pumpkins and autumn fruits up! What better way than a delicious chutney to go with cheeses, cold cuts and left over Christmas fare! I really enjoy making this recipe, through all the stages. Try it, you will love it! Even make a gift of it…
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large onions finely chopped
100g piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 fat red chilli, (deseeded if you are not too keen on heat) seeds in if you like bit of spice! finely sliced
2 long cinnamons sticks snapped in half
15 cardamon pods (outer shell taken off first) and bashed in a pestle and mortar
1 tbsp of black or yellow mustard seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds (bashed abit)
4 fat garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1kg of firm pumpkin or squash, peeled and cut into 1cm (ish) cm cubes
2 brambley apples (approx 500g) peeled and cut into similar sized cubes as squash
1 tsp tumeric
500g soft light brown sugar
300 ml cider vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently fry the onions, ginger, chilli, cardamon, cinnamon, mustard seeds and cumin seeds together for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, prepared pumpkin and apple, and cook for 15 mins until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in numeric and sugar and mix it around all the vegetables. Simmer for for 5 mins.
- Pour in vinegar, season generously with salt and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring regularly for 40 mins until it looks the right consistency for a firm chutney.
- Put clean jam jars in an oven at 100 degrees for 10 mins.
- Pot up and seal, don’t forget to label!